Samsung reportedly drops out of A8 processor production race

As per a new report, Apple has dropped Samsung from the manufacturing run of the new A8 chip that should include in the iPhone 6 and the follow-up to the iPad Air. TechNews Taiwan disclosed in a new report today that Apple has decided to depend entirely on Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing (TSMC) for the manufacturing run of the A8 processor it will be utilizing this season.

apple, samsung

As per sources, Samsung was showing low yields of designing the 20 nm processor, and that has caused Apple to depend completely on TSMC to fulfil the requirement. The firm was already anticipated to develop 70 % of the generation run with Samsung picks up the other 30 %. While TSMC is the smaller sized firm to be sure, reportedly its manufacturing so far on the A8 processor has been easier than predicted giving Apple confidence that the firm will be able to fulfill the requirement.

The Taiwanese firm has also expanded its manufacturing abilities since the A7 production run and it must be able to cater to the improved results. Reportedly, this separation over the A8 processor will not be a long term departure of Apple utilizing Samsung for manufacturing, however. The A9 processor, which is anticipated to be utilized in the 2016 manufacturing line, will begin off along with TSMC making 60 % of those chips at 16 nm, and then Samsung is designing the other 40 % at 14 nm.

Pin It